I just wanted to let everyone know that Maya Mei’s first night went better than we could have ever hoped! We established that she needs a light on and that seemed to do the trick (gotta figure out where to put a night light in the girls room – all the outlets are behind furniture)! She went to bed around 8pm and fell asleep after about an hour of tossing and turning. I am sure this hotel bed is much softer than what she is used to. We had our guide ask her if she wanted her own bed or to share with Eliana, and she wanted to share with Eliana. Other than needing to get Eliana’s legs off of Mei Mei once (Eliana is a floppy fish sleeper), the girls did very well sharing a bed. So hopefully the shared bedroom will work out at home! She did get up to use the bathroom a couple of times and a few other times she would take her pajamas (the ones she was wearing from home) off, and then later put them back on. I am not sure if she usually wears pajamas. But she always went right back to bed and to sleep in a few minutes. At one point I got in there bed because Eliana was fussing, and Mei Mei took my hand and held it. :D
Side note, the cartoon characters on her PJs are from the ‘The Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf’ movie. It must be very popular right now. Her KFC plastic toy in her kids meal was a character from the show – she was thrilled and slept with it. It makes noises and kept going off in the night when she rolled on it! I feel really badly because she was telling me about her stuffed dog (guo guo) she left at home. I am going to ask about getting it. If we can’t, I think a new stuffed toy from Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf is definitely in order. She pointed one out to me at the mall yesterday, but I didn’t put it together at the time.
I think we all actually had the best night’s sleep yet! I woke up around 3:30 again, but was able to stay in bed and snooze on and off until about 5:30am.
When we all got up she wasn’t sure what to do. I put out the Polly Pockets and the girls played for a few minutes. I made my instant Starbucks coffee and a cup of jasmine tea for Adam and she indicated she would also like some tea, so she and Baba had a nice tea sharing moment. Thankfully, ‘would you like a cup of tea’ is one of the few Mandarin phrases Adam know! (Qing he cha). But then a few minutes later she was up and dialing the phone. Her foster mother had her phone off. I wanted a quick distraction, so I ran a bubble bath.
She was very excited about the bubble bath! I am pretty sure this was her first bubble bath and she had no problems taking a bath with her little sister. She let me help wash her, but would not allow me to wash her hair. I washed Eliana’s first, but when I asked her ‘tou fa, hao bu hao’, (the closest thing I could come up with to ‘May I wash your hair’, but it was more like – Hair, yes or no?) she shook her head No vigorously. I will have to ask Shirley ask her about how often and in what manner she usually washes her hair. She enjoyed her new spinning toothbrush and brushed her teeth and combed her own hair and put clippies in with great efficiency. She was excited to have a matching fleece hoodie and pink monkey socks with her little sister and selected which pair of pants she wanted to wear – the Gymboree jeans with the embroidered hears at the hem and a bright pink satin belt. Mama is happy. ;o) She doesn’t like the Sketchers I brought her (I think they are tighter than what she is used to, even though they are plenty long enough), but liked the black boots, which is perfect for today’s rainy weather.
Adam took the girls up for breakfast about 30 minutes ago. There is the nicest young man (wow, I sound like an old person) who runs the breakfast and will make eggs to order for you. He was looking forward to meeting our new daughter and I am sure he is speaking to her in Mandarin and making sure that she has what she wants. He told me yesterday that he would like to make a special fruit and yogurt dish just for me, so I am looking forward to that!
Well, I better be off to shower before they return. We are free until 2pm today, when we sign all of the official adoption paperwork at the the conclusion of our ’24 hour harmonious period’. We did have a few ‘off notes’ the first 24 hours, but all in all, it was very harmonious indeed. I have some paperwork to fill out before then and I will see if either Adam or I can get any of the video from our meeting online.
Thanks for all of the wonderfully supportive comments! I get them via email, so keep them coming! I haven’t been able to get into the other family’s blogs who I know are traveling, but I am going to try again (Melanie, Aus, and the other Hubei families).
[Shelli H., I delivered your picture books to Director Chen yesterday (there is a picture of me presenting it to him). The foster care director was not there, but he will give her pictures to her and also to the foster family. I noticed the CCAA officer was there briefly but we didn’t give her anything yet – we will see her today and give her your pictures along with our gift.]
Zai jian for now,
Laura Beth



Oh I am so thrilled with your 24 hours of harmony! And I love the pictures. The sisters look so happy together. I am so happy that you wrote this morning for you, it is a bonus for us b/c we got some this morning and some this evening and it's a new day for you. How simply odd? I've already been to Target and developed a first batch of pictures. NOT 386, but enough to keep me going.
ReplyDeleteSo so so happy for the harmony....so cute about the tea w/ Baba...I'm so glad you have your Starbucks.
Have a great day.
Love, Laurie
So fun to read about your adventures with Mei Mei!
ReplyDeleteso fun, wish I could be there. I am in sprit.
ReplyDeletelove you
grandma charlotte
The updates are priceless. And sounds like things are going quite well.
ReplyDeleteAwww...thank you for sharing the details of your amazing day and the sweet photos of the girls. And how is Ben doing today? And grandma? She must be really excited to have TWO granddaughters to spoil now! ;-)
ReplyDeleteSkype me when you have time!
Hugs,
Auntie Lisa
I love all the pictures and amazing words - how you can articulate your thoughts so beautifully with emotions running high and sleep running low is beyond me- thank you for sharing your journey! The girls look so cute in their matching outfits! What a wondrous time...for everyone.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you guys,
Hannah
I am so thrilled to be reading about your adventure, and feel soooo lucky to be able to "share" it with you! The love you all share is, in turn, shared with all of us through your words (& pics). Mei mei is a very precious and lovely giftl The Cohn family (& extended family, too!) is very, very lucky, I know, to have chosen the precious Mei Mei! Travel safely and hi to all! (Oh, & one more little thing...MeiMei is going to loooove being a part of your family, no doubt about it!!!! : )
ReplyDeleteSo fun to read the posts and see the pictures. Mei Mei looks so happy and you are glowing too, Laura Beth. So glad to see everyone doing so well.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Christy
Thanks for posting so much! I'm so glad things went as well as they did on day one.
ReplyDeleteIlove the updates! So happy all is going almost completely perfect! lol Glad she likes to dress like Eliana, that is too cute. They are just precious togther! It gives me goosebumps to see how sweet they are!
ReplyDeleteLove ya,
Sheri
LB-
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome job you are all doing with Maya Mei!
I am so impressed and taking notes!
Thanks for passing out our books...in the midst of your adoption.
Can't wait to come to VA and visit...I think Rou Rou and Mei Mei will really hit it off.
The show you are talking about is HUGE...you can buy the episodes at the store:) I just emailed you background info and a link to some clips:)
Have a great day:)
Love you tons- Hugs- Shelli
LB, I am thrilled to be following along on your adoption trip. You are so eloquent and thoughtful, sharing all the extraordinary details. Maya Mei is so sweet and brave--such a big change in a little ones life. I love seeing Eliana and Maya Mei together, especially in the bathtub. Eliana must be so excited to have a big sister. Glad things are going so well this first day. Keep up the great work! Love, Monica
ReplyDeleteCongratulations again! Yeah for bubble baths and hair clippies and cute jeans and boots! What wonderful music you all are creating together! Cheers with hot tea to a great week!
ReplyDeleteTrena
Congratulations Cohn Family!! So very thrilled to be following your journey. Maya Mei is gorgeous!! It's so fun to see Maya Mei and Eliana together in the tub...in matching clothes...too cute. Can't wait to hear more stories and see more pitures. Thinking of you all. Nikki
ReplyDeleteSounds like you guys are doing awesome! I am also impressed with how prepared you are with your packing and planning. It's very exciting to hear that things are going well and we'll look forward to meeting Maya Mei soon. I think that Pam might start sending you my posts and links to pictures. Much love,
ReplyDeleteMelanie, David, Indigo and Isaac
What wonderful posts! Seeing your daughters together, and reading your stories just made my day, and you don't even know me. We are just other parents of adopted children. Congratulations on getting Mei Mei in the middle, and making the "sandwhich" just right. Enjoy the rest of your trip, and may you and your family have safe travels back home.
ReplyDeleteSusan
Just beautiful LB! Hope all is going well today, too! How is Ben doing with all of this? Have fun on the rest of your journey!
ReplyDeleteAnd then there were five.... :-)
barb
I am so glad things are going well for you.
ReplyDeleteShe is beautiful.
I'm glad everything is going so well. The pictures are great! It looks like Mei Mei is confortable with all of you. I hope you have gotten your much needed sleep and your mind is clear now. Can't wait to see more pictures!
ReplyDeleteThe girls are adorable!!! And Ben is such a great big brother!!! Congrats and have tons of fun on your Great China Tour as a family of 5!!!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Kate
She looks so very happy! I am so glad things are going well. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Hugs from Betsy and family
ReplyDelete