We have connected with my sister Lisa and my nephew Drew and are in our fabulous apartment in Beijing!!! So, we are now a party of 8 until our friends Melanie and David and their crew arrive shortly, then we will be a tour group of 14 with our very own ‘coaster’ (minibus) and our very nice guide, Doyle, and our driver (whose name I will need to learn tomorrow). It is pretty cold here, though there is only an occasional patch of leftover snow around, as opposed to the 3 feet or so piled up back home. I hope everyone is warm and well and that the power (and Internet) are staying on for you!
We are celebrating (well, actually everyone but me is sleeping, so we are celebrating very quietly) 24 hours without a major tantrum! We have changed tactics and are taking a firmer approach with Maya Mei when we see she is winding up. We also had about 30 minutes with our guide on the way to the airport to have her translate and explain some things to Maya, ask some questions and let her know what some of our expectations for her behavior are. I think she is feeling more comfortable now that she is getting to better understand the boundaries in our family (after crossing all of them several times). The flight was pretty good and uneventful except that Maya got sick to her stomach and vomited after landing – I think because of a trip to the restroom during some turbulence on the descent. Poor dear! Thankfully everything was contained in the provided bag and she felt better after that.
The apartment here is large and will be great for our week long stay here. Plenty of room to spread out and floor space to play. I think that the location is very good! We are not near the city center, but we are across from Chaoyang Park and in an area with lot of restaurants and shops to walk to – a place where Beijingers really live and work – not touristy at all. And if the warm-up of booms and crackles tonight are any indication, we will be in for a huge amount of fireworks Saturday night as we bring in the Year of the Tiger in Beijing!
I am now attempting to place an online grocery order from Jenny Lou’s grocery store so that we will be stocked with provisions over the holiday. We have a small kitchen with a washer/dryer combo machine that I am going to try to figure out momentarily so that everyone can have clean things to wear tomorrow.
I will leave you with one last photo from Guangzhou which I took in the women’s bathroom at the airport. Sorry, but this translation was too funny not to share!
Next photo upload will be of the Great Wall!
Laura Beth




Enjoy the peace and quiet. Happy new year of the Tiger.
ReplyDeleteSara
Major milestone!!! Enjoy the rest of your journey. I'm envious of your stay in Bejing during CNY! Best wishes.
ReplyDeleteRose
So glad to hear that you all arrived safely in Beijing.Enjoy the celebrating of the new year and give my love to everyone in your family.
ReplyDeleteHugs from Helle
PS: could you please tell Lisa that my e-mail address is: hellekarina@gmail.com should she need it - it seems that she forgot it at home :-) (it's a good thing it wasn't the toothbrush or something else like that...)
good moring family!!!!! hope you had a good night and will have a great day. so glad you were able to get thru to maya, sounds like it may have worked. we are all well in te snow, I went to the drug store on thursday. once I got on to steeple chase everthing was ducky. going to try for the grocey store later. we love you and are looking forward to our turn to love on the kids. the puppies really miss that little girl, as do we all. Ben, you rock
ReplyDeletegc
Wow! Laura Beth...Your energy AMAZES me!!! I'm so glad you're willing to stay awake and blog while everyone else sleeps, b/c I looooove reading about your journey!!!
ReplyDeleteHi to all,
Karen
I knew that communist countries like to tell you what to do, but how to do it too? I am really enjoying all the translations coming across. Congratulations on 24 hours without a tantrum! That is way longer than me!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the Celebration, My friend Jill tells me it will be a "crazy loud". Glad to hear that Lisa and Drew made it safely.
Love you all,
Barb
Sounds like you are making huge progress! The pictures from the orphanage are wonderful, and the zoo pictures are great too! (Are those albino kangaroos?)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the Spring Holiday festivities!
Hugs to all of you!
Sara Lang
HOORAH!! Way to go guys - and I hope that this continues and that ya'll have a wonderful beginning to the year of the Tiger! (Sounds to me like you may have adopted one - but - that part of her nature will serve her will in the future!) Looking forward to the pictures from the great wall -
ReplyDeletehugs - aus and co.
Hi Laura Beth and family,
ReplyDeleteSounds like real progress...and glad to hear you will have more room now! Hotel rooms can make you crazy!! Enjoy all the festivities...looking forward to seeing you all when you get back! Tell Eliana I am following along and LOVE all the pictures! I may have to visit 2 times the week you get back! Looking forward to meeting Maya!
Love,
Lori