Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday in Guangzhou

Hello, everyone, this is Adam.  I hope that this post finds you with power and enjoying the snow.  I have been thinking of everyone there and worrying a bit about my mother.  Hopefully the gas fire place and cooktop with get her through if there is no power.

 

Things have been going very well, even though Saturday was a busy (and in some ways difficult) day.  It started off as usual with Breakfast.  I must say that with the addition of our third child, we have officially switched from “man to man” to “zone” defense.  Trying to deal with both girls in the lounge for breakfast is always a challenge, but as they settle into a routine it has become more so.  Instead of being upset at the divided attention of her parents, Eliana has decided to take full advantage of it.  While I am busy tending to Maya, Eliana takes that time to do things like pour massive amounts of salt into her food, pour apple juice onto her eggs, and generally do all of those things that she is denied with the focused attention of two parents on one small child.  I guess that is one of the essential parenting experiences you miss when you only have one small one at a time.  Oh well, we have to adjust to this new reality and move on.  Ultimately, everyone gets fed and it all works out. 

 

One of the interesting things about the girls is that they are the exact same age difference as Laura Beth and her sister Lisa.  Bonnie always helps out at breakfast (I am so grateful that she is here).  Yesterday, as I was shoveling food into my face, the girls got away from me and were playing in the curtains.  Bonnie stood up and  said “Girls get out of the curtains.”  She said it in a way that I thought it must not be the first time she had uttered those words.  I could picture little Laura Beth and Lisa getting in trouble for playing the curtains and all I could do was laugh.

 

After breakfast we took a cab to the island and found our guide and the other families from our agency and headed over to take the photos for the Maya’s US immigrant visa.  After that we (finally) got to play on the playground while we waited to walk over to the medical building for Maya’s examination.  We got some good pictures on the playground and Maya had a good time climbing on the equipment and hopping around on one foot.  There was another 8 year old girl in the group and Maya and her seemed to hit it off.  Although when we first met her, she was not happy because her new little sister had broken her bracelet.  I guess things are the same all over.

 

At the medical building, we saw several familiar faces.  Melanie and David were there for the adoption of their new son Isaac.  (Congratulations!)  I am sure you can find their blog if you look for it.  Also, we saw our guide from Eliana’s adoption, Bob Wu.  It was kind of funny running into so many familiar faces in China. 

 

The medical examination went well.  Maya was such a brave girl.  Poor dear had to have 5 immunization shots.  She knew it was coming and was not happy about it.  However, when the time came, she put on a brave face, put her hand on her hip to expose her arm, and watched the needle go in five times with a very determined look.  Not a single tear.  Tough kid!  She was feeling kind of crummy for the rest of the day and her arms hurt.  We were so proud of her.

 

While we were in the medical building, Ben showed his grandmother around the island and played with Eliana on the playground.  Afterward, we all met a “Lucy’s” for lunch.  It was a real treat, because they serve good southern style sweet tea!  I guess because we are in the south of China.  Ben and I were soooo happy.  We can’t even get that at most places in northern Virginia.  We were seated outside and under a table size umbrella because  of the rain.  (much like Florida it comes and goes quickly)  One of the highlights of lunch was to watch the 6 year old son of another adoptive family pull down his pants to go pee right there on the patio.  The family was mortified as dad scooped him up and got him as close to the bathroom as he could.  This not an uncommon sight in China.  Very often young children will squat where they are and go.  We laughed about this and continues on with lunch.

 

After lunch we walked around the island.  Maya had fun kissing all of the statues (pictures to come later).  We gave Bonnie a tour of the white swan hotel and then caught a cab back to our hotel.

 

We had a nap (by we I mean me an Eliana).  Maya rested and watched some good old “Happy sheep and bad wolf.” There was a little fit later in the afternoon when Maya wanted to go see Ben.  But we worked through it just fine.  I can see the wheels working in Maya’s head.  When she throws a fit, she does not get what she wants, but when she calms down and behaves well she gets what she wants.  I think she is going to adjust fine.  For dinner we  went to McDonalds right next to the hotel, a quick trip to the 7 -11 and it was bed time.  Internet was down last night, so not post, sorry.

 

Necessarily, we are learning some Chinese through this.  “Bu jao” is a very common phrase we hear (It means “I don’t want”)  Hand her some food she does not like and … “Bu jao”, whatever Laura Beth wants to dress her in… “Bu jao”, go somewhere she does not want to go… “Bu jao”, Shots! Definitely “Bu jao!”  Even Eliana has taken to telling us “Bu jao” when she doesn’t want something. 

 

Another useful phrase is “Hao Bu Hao” which literally means “good or not good.”  It is used for yes or know.  As in, do you want this?  “Hao Bu Hao.”  She either answers Hao or Bu Hao.  When I add Ni in front of it, it becomes the equivalent of are you OK?  It is nice to look at her and say Maya Ni Hao Bu Hao?  She looks back and says Hao, nods and I know all is good.

 

We are heading to the safari park this morning.  Again, thanks for following along.  It is so great to have some familiar voices of encouragement from home.  Will post soon.

Adam

7 comments:

  1. Adam,

    I'm really enjoying your posts. Great detail, great humor, great perspective.

    Glad all is well. You are such a wonderful family!

    Christy
    LB's friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and update! Thanks for taking the time to keep the stories coming our way. I think Maya is doing GREAT! Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam,

    Fear not, we have been checking on your mom, I spoke with her twice today at the house and they are doing fine. Power is back on as well, thank God. We also shoveled a walk pathway so that should they need to get out, they can. We have been rather persistant so I really do think they would call if they needed anything. Don't worry! You have enough emotional goings on, to worry about things back here in Reston. I must admit, we can't wait to meet your spirited little girl. Sounds like she is going to put those boys on the street in order : 0 )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear from you! I was anxious waiting to hear about the medical stuff.
    Re: life here, let's just say....your house is now warm! We are all grateful, and you can get your wonderful neighbors a lovely gift :)
    I also think Ben will NOT be missing at least 1 more day this coming week, it's not official, but that's what people are saying.
    I"m cracking up about the peeing at the table, Eliana putting apple juice in her eggs, your Chinese lesson....and so much.
    Keep the posts a coming!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to hear that the medical tests went fine. I've been so nervous about how it would go and have been checking your blog several times a day awaiting a post that would tell us all about that.

    It's amazing how well you're all handling all these new experience.
    It's a privilege being able to follow your big event via this blog; I so enjoy reading all the posts.

    Love and positive thoughs to all of you
    Helle

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes all is warm and wonderful in your house, ronnie and daniel hve beeen so wonderful, risking life and limb to get here and shovel andthen fo home. I am so greatful for the peace of mind it gives us. does not look like we will be getting out today, no plowes on the street yet, althou some one or thing has mad a path in the street. I think it was ronnie going back and forth. love and hugs gc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from the North Florida contingent. Glad things are progessing. Ain't parenthood wonderful. See what its like with girls. Spoke with Charlotte today and she is still alive. I threatened her the other day so she will be fine at least until it gets warmer.

    Rx

    ReplyDelete