Monday, February 15, 2010

Sunday - Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace, Acrobatics

Hello friends, let’s see if I can get caught up on the blogging!

 

After about 48 hours of relative peace on the ‘home front’, Maya Mei was due for a melt down and it happened at breakfast Sunday morning with Adam while I was sleeping in from my late night up with the fireworks.  So our day got off to a really rocky start.  Thankfully we are not superstitious, because it is really BAD LUCK for your child to cry or scream on New Year’s Day!  It is supposedly indicative of how your year will go.  Let’s hope that is just a myth!  And to top it off, Eliana and Adam are not feeling 100% and that did not help the mood.  Our rather grumpy half of the group got on the bus for a full day of activities.

 

Sunday morning BITTERLY cold.  We were very bundled up for our trip to the Temple of Heaven, but because the wind was really blowing we were pretty miserable.  We stayed to watch a show being putting on outside the temple, recreating what would have been done in the time of the Emperor for a good harvest for the new year.  We literally huddled together to try to stay warm, enclosing the stroller with little Isaac in the middle to block the wind.  There was also quite the crowd present due to the holiday and the show and we did not linger long.

 

We were frozen solid and next went to find an open noodle shop to have lunch.  It is good luck to eat noodles on New Year – long noodles for long life!  We went to a place inside a large mall and our table enjoyed the noodles with egg and our group’s other table enjoyed the noodles with pork. We also had a soup dish, a spicy duck dish and some very bland soup and just hot water to drink. Lisa & Drew did pretty well with one of their first attempts with chopsticks!  After the noodle shop, we got a warm-up at Starbucks (except the kids, who got a cool down with Frappacinos).  Believe it or not, this was my first stop at Starbucks in my 2 weeks in China so far!  But, I have been enjoying my instant Starbucks Via packets in the morning that I brought from the US. :o)  Also, Ben and Drew picked up some French fries at McD’s on the way back to the bus.  Drew is a meat and potatoes guy (like his Daddy), and he was a good sport about trying everything at lunch, but we also don’t want him to starve since he doesn’t have a lot of meat on his bones to start with!

 

The next stop was the Summer Palace.  Since this was where the Emperors used to go to stay cool in the summertime, we were a little worried given the current weather conditions!  But thankfully, the sun had come out and the wind had eased up, so although it was still pretty cold, it was not nearly as bad as at the Temple of Heaven.  It was really spectacular to see Lake Kunming completely frozen solid.  I like the picture of Adam walking on the lake with Eliana on his shoulders right by the sign that says ‘Do not walk on the ice’!  But since the water level was extremely low, you could actually see solid ground just below the layer of ice where they were walking.

 

Switching authors… this is now Adam.  LB is getting the girls dressed for our Beijing Duck Dinner tonight!

 

We did not stay too long at the summer palace.  Between the girls constantly stopping at the bathroom, the merchants pushing junk on us,  (We did buy some… see Eliana’s Panda hat and Ben’s Groucho Marks glasses with the built in noise makers) and the wind we walked through the long corridor very quickly.  The Summer palace is an amazing place and I am glad that we got to see it.  Our guide, Doyle, is excellent but I am sure he is frustrated with the unruly nature of our group.  We are slow, set on having things our way, and difficult to manage.  (Us?  No way!)

 

After the summer palace, we decided to come back to the hotel for a rest before we left for the acrobatics show.  The kids had some snacks and I  snuck in a 20 minute nap.  Before getting ready for the acrobatic show LB found a picture of it in a magazine in the showed to Maya.  She clapped and jumped up and down.  Very excited, she was a great help getting dressed and out the door.  The show did not disappoint.  The girls (and the rest of us as well) loved it.  It was an incredible show.  We ate ice cream and pop corn in the theater.  A good time was had by all.

 

After the show we came back to the room and had a simple meal of left over KFC and rice.  At 9:00 on the dot, Maya turned off the TV and decided it was bed time.  She grabbed me and Eliana by the hand and told us to go to bed.  Within a few minutes, Maya was asleep, though Eliana was a bit more of a challenge.  After the girls were asleep, LB and I had a few minutes to sit on the couch and look out the window at the fireworks (yes they are still going).  It was very peaceful as we reflected on the trip so far.  Despite the mornings tantrum, we know that things are getting better and more quickly than I would have expected.  

 

Just so no one gets the wrong impression of our new daughter, she is a good girl, very gentle, with a good sense of humor.  She genuinely wants to please us and gets frustrated because she does not know the rules of behavior in our family.  Sure she gets mad and expresses it pretty well, but with what she has been through it is understandable.  She is also smart and as soon as she learns English, things will be much easier for all of us.  Think of it this way… take a minute and reflect on all of the tools you have as a parent and how you use them on a daily basis.  Positive rewards, punishments, negotiation, reasoning, etc.  Now imagine that you have a new 8 year old you barely know and the only tool you have is… “You will do this because I am the parent and I said so.”  Imagine how the day might go.  It is a difficult transition for her, and us.  We will make it through and come out as a stronger happier family for the effort.

 

Thanks again for participating in our journey by reading the blog.  It really helps to have so many wonderful friends pulling for us.  Really, more than you can know.  We are in the home stretch of this  trip and looking forward to seeing you soon.

 

Adam 

11 comments:

  1. Adam and Laura Beth,

    You two are doing a wonderful job with this transition! You have been an inspiration to watch as you journey this path. Your commitment to Maya is evident. Hopefully she will soon realize that she is in your family forever and then will be able to relax and be the little girl she still is.

    Great details about your outings! Great pictures, too! Sounds like you needed all the extra hats and mittens today. Hopefully the wind will stop and the temperature will rise a bit so you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

    Pam & Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are going so well. Adam, we KNOW she is a super girl, and that she is going through a rough transition. But, it was so sweet that you took the time to write it. I always knew you were a great guy. Another day of NO school for Ben.....that is the FUNNIEST part of the whole trip.
    Enjoy your day.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! In case it helps, I don't think anyone got the impression that your daughter is anything except a good person thrown into new circumstances without the key tool of common language. I can appreciate you wanting to explain that, but I wanted you to know that from the reader's perspective, we saw the tantrums as exactly what they are -- a "side effect" of the transition -- and not something that defines who she is. We can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried to send this Yesterday!!!

    Dear A, LB, B, M, E, B, L, and D:
    Happy New Year’s, Valentine’s, and Presidents’ days. We have been following your progress daily and have been very impressed by how you are handling a difficult situation. It sounds like you are being patient, sensitive, and firm. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I keep imagining how Macey would react if he were suddenly removed from his home and expected to behave for strangers who didn’t even speak his language. Maya must be very frightened and confused. Just keep doing what you are doing. Remember the theatre saying,” Bad rehearsal, great show!” You will remember these times with a smile when you are dancing at her wedding. We are so proud of you all, and particularly Ben. Our grandson has become such a mench. Your Bubby is Kvelling. Macey wants to know if Eliana has told Maya about him yet. He is looking forward to having a new niece to play with. Now that I know how to use this new speech program a little, hopefully I will be able to write more often. Norman and Macey send their love. Me too. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey y'all! I have been catching up on your blog and have enjoyed reading it as much as I did when you were adopting Eliana. Maya Mei is so adorable. I am so happy for your family. You're trip looks amazing and so glad that you have Aunt Bonnie, Lisa and Drew to share it with.

    It does seem like things are improving daily with Maya Mei and her tantrums. Things will get easier and I am sure once you are adjusted back home she will and y'all will have a better understanding of each others wants and expectations! I could only imagine the struggles y'all are having but know if anybody can handle this it would be the two of you. Your blogs are so inspiring and I am sure are giving alot of people hope out there to do what you two are doing.

    LB and Adam are just so amazing and Ben is just fascinating to see how well he does with all this. Y'all should be (and I know you are) very proud of your son and daughters and your just way of life!

    Congratulations on your newest member! Y'all deserve the best! Good luck with the rest of your trip! Hope to still hear about y'all when you get back to the states :)

    Take care and much love for all of you!

    Melissa Hermeling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! I love reading your posts--they give such a colorful picture of your experiences. Thank you so much for sharing this time with all of us. We were thinking of you all yesterday as we celebrated Lunar New Year at a big Korean dinner in Annandale. It sounds like it was quite a celebration in Beijing! It's snowing again here as I'm typing--can you believe it? Can't wait to see you all!
    --Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just as Joanie writes I am sure that every reader sees Maya Mei's tantrums as frustration. Not being able to understand what's being said and expected, not being able to communicate as you are used to is frustrating to anyone - add to this that you are in "a brand new world" that's unknown to you - I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be.
    As you get more familiar with each other we, as you, see that they decrease.

    I very much like the last sets of pictures you've uploaded. It looks so cute how Maya's walking hand in hand with Lisa. It's amazing when you think about it, a little girl that only just met her aunt and yet she trusts her enough to walk around an unknown place holding her hand.

    I've been wondering about something... How do you plan to teach Maya English. Is it an intence course, a special school or how does that work? And will you make sure she's bilingual maintaining the level of Chinese she knows now? (Tell me to butt out if I'm too curious - I'm just very interessed...)

    With hopes that your days in China will bring warmer weather...
    Hugs from Denmark

    Helle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well the teachers finally went back to work in FCPS...but still no school for kids! Ben should be in good shape when you get back...Eliana's missed only a few sessions. Tomorrow is a 2 hour delay. Sounds like things are coming together more and more each day. See you soon....hope Eliana and Adam are feeling better. (Hugs to Eliana!!!)
    Love,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. will someone please explain Adam's tantrums to me?
    :-)
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year guys!! Adam - great summary on 'parenting' - add to your mix the fact that (unlike an infant who lacks the "intellect" and only has the feelings) your daughter KNOWS abandonment. I've long argued that the opposite of love is not hate - but complete indifference (when you hate you still have feelings - uncaring at all is the flip side of love) - and she knows how that feels. No only is she 'stuck' in her situation - she's scared to death that it might change and she'll have to go back to the 'indifference' again! All things considered - I'll tell you that while it's MOST DIFFICULT for you guys to deal with - she's doing pretty well! As for how you guys are doing - other kids inlcuded - ya'll are BRILLIANT!!

    Happy for you guys - wish we'd have been on the great wall with you - and really impressed with ya'll!

    hugs and love - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura Beth and Adam, thanks for sharing your journey with us all. I have not been able to quit thinking about what an incredible ride it must be for all of you to grow your family in this way.

    I wanted to congratulate you on your empathy for what Maya is going through. At 8, I imagine she is feeling as if her life has been turned upside down, completely outside of her will and control. Imagine that even if it's what she wants ultimately, that it still feels like she is not doing things of her free will...if that makes any sense at all. And, adding to that, as you mentioned yourself, she has a major language barrier, and can't even articulate to you how she feels about it...and she is usually (I imagine) the only one in your large group, who can't chime in. How blessed she is that she has parents who see all this and are patient with her and empathize with her. And how blessed you are to get to be part of something so unique, to witness her changes and her heart opening up as you go along.

    Sorry to go on so long, but reading your blog really has my mind busy.

    Linda
    momma to Jarrett (5, Dongguan) and Cara (3, TCH alum, Dongguan)

    ReplyDelete